Friday, March 7, 2008

Slow down, you crazy child.

"You're so ambitious for a juvenile...
You got so much to do and only
so many hours in a day."
- Billy Joel, "Vienna"

So I'm in Vienna right now, after spending the last day-and-a-half in Prague. I'm staying in the Hutteldorf hostel, which is like 30 minutes away from the centre of Vienna. The walk here was kind of creepy, as it was SO quiet on the way, and kind of bucolic for a major city - I think I'm in suburban Vienna, actually. The hostel reminds me of CI all over again - a bunch of bungalow-like things that I have to trek in the (very cold) dark to enter, wooden bunkbeds, scheduled times for everything, lots of trees, hella far from anything, etc. The only differences are the people smoking and drinking behind me (I still hate cigarette smoke, and I live in Paris), no bible study, and no piano. Oh, and also the fact that I'M IN AUSTRIA LOL.

The past few days have been fun, but hectic (WELL DUH) and more than a little stressful because I keep getting lost. Ordinarily getting lost in a big city is fun for me, but ordinarily that city is San Francisco or Paris, both of which I have known and loved (if not inhabited) for many years and I have a map (paper or mental) of where I am. It's not as fun when you don't speak the language and it's 11:00 at night because your train came in late or you took the wrong tram/bus/metro line and time is running out and you're hungry and out of cell phone minutes and carrying a huge-ass bag of stuff that includes your ten-pound Oxford Anthology of English literature because your English professor got the brilliant idea of giving you a take-home midterm over spring break when you're visiting eight cities in fifteen days and already have a major French project to do.

I've got some interesting travelling stories already and I'm just a little worse for the wear - I'm still able to walk, I've got all my essential accoutrements (KNOCK ON WOOD) and I wrote down a bunch of German phrases in my Moleskine before arriving so I think I'll be fine.

There's so many things to do in Vienna and I'm only here for a day and a half so I'm going to look those things up now. And go to sleep, because I am EXHAUSTED. Vienna waits for me, but my own circadian rhythms do not.

No comments: