Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Stupid Mouth.

So there's a whole bunch of stuff going on that I have to blog about soon but I just wanted to vent about a small embarrassing moment I had in the supermarket today.

I was walking toward the back of the line at the local supermarket and it was a tight fit to get past all those people, so my American instinct to say "excuse me" out loud (and my Filipino instinct to duck and put my hands in front of me as I passed by kicked in), and so I mumbled "pardon, pardon" all the way down the line (like I do in the metro, anyway). The thing is, the entire supermarket was SILENT. And then these French dudes in the other line started making fun of me: "Hahahahaha, elle dit pardon. Qui repond?" (Hahahaha, she said "excuse me." Who's gonna answer?)

Now I've steeled myself for getting crap from French people, but it still hurts when it actually happens. Especially after such a good day yesterday (Notre Dame, lots of cool exploring, clubbing, and walking the Champs Elysees at 3:00 in the morning). Paris, like any other big city, is amazing in its ability to bring me to such great heights (harhar) of euphoria, making me feel my freest and most at-home, and yet bring me crashing so hard back down to reality and reminding me of how much a fish out of water I am.

(There were SO many cliches in that last sentence... but remember, they became cliches because they are true.)

No comments: