Saturday, January 26, 2008

C'est ca que j'aime (ba da ba ba ba...)

I am writing from a McDonald's in Porte St.-Cloud, Paris (hence the title, which is the French translation of "I'm Lovin' It"). A funny thing happened on the way to the McDonalds: I was stopped by a girl (black coat, long scarf and Longchamp purse as is common among Parisian girls) who asked me for directions as to how to get to a certain street in French. I helped her to the nearest exit in nervous, stuttering French... but lo and behold, as soon as her phone rang ("Last Night" by P. Diddy and Keyshia Cole... I hate that song) she began to speak in slightly accented (to me) English! So I waited until we got to the stop and she got off her phone. As soon as she started asking me again how to get to the proper street, I was like, "wait, you speak English?" And she was like, "where are you from?" I said, "California!" We had a good laugh over that, as we were both Anglophones speaking to each other in nervous French when we could have conversed much more freely and easily in English. However, I thought she was French and she thought I was French, which was pretty funny because everyone can tell that I'm Not From France (especially now that I'm dressed as Comfy American Joanne instead of Haute Parisienne Joanne) and she looked pretty Parisian and spoke good French. She barely had a North American accent, as far as I could tell; and it was just as well, since she was from Canada (Winnipeg). I told her I had cousins in Ontario (WHAT'S UP KEV) and she was like "cool!" So she went to the left, as the map told us to, and as she turned away I said "Good luck eh!"

I'm not sure if she heard me but I hope she gets there okay since it's like 10:20 at night here.

No comments: