Thursday, May 1, 2008

Stockholm Syndrome

Sitting in a park in Paris, France
Reading the news and it sure looks bad
They won't give peace a chance
That was just a dream some of us had
Still a lot of lands to see
But I wouldn't want to stay here
It's too old and cold and settled in its ways here

Oh, but California
California I'm coming home
I'm going to see the folks I dig
I'll even kiss a sunset pig
California I'm coming home

- Joni Mitchell, "California"


According to Wikipedia, UC Santa Barbara is:

- Holder of he #2 best school psych program in America as of Winter 2007, the quarter when it was obvious I would have to change out of the psych major
- The approximate location of the Hellmouth
- Ranked 94% selective, on a scale of 1 to 99, by the U.S. World and News Report
- The only university in California to offer an undergrad degree in Pharmacology
- Home to six Nobel Laureates (although any good tour guide will tell you that right off the bat, lest you think your precious darling is going to a good-for-nothing party school)
- The fourth most selective UC in admissions in 2005, the year I got accepted (I'm guessing the other three were Berkeley, which rejected me, LA, which I refused to apply to, and Davis, which accepted me)
- Third in applications to the UC system, behind LA and SD (neither of which I ever wanted to attend)
- Giver of Pell Grants to 25% of the student body (including my own lucky self)
- The 35th university worldwide (and the 27th in the United States) in the 2007 Academic Ranking of World Universities
- One of sixty American members (including Canada, sixty-two in all) of the Association of American Universities
- 44th best university (13th public, fifth UC - behind Berkeley (DUH), LA, San Diego and Davis) in America, according to US World and News Report in spring of 2008
- The #4 party school in the nation as of 2005, the year I entered
- The #10 party school in the nation as of 2007, and tied with the #3 party school (University of Austin) for highest-ranking party school (#44) according to US World and News Report
- Home to the only Freebirds outside of Texas besides Norman, Oklahoma (the newest branch), the first of the chain, and founded the year I was born
- Probably the only school whose mascot is named for Argentinean cowboys (which, coincidentally, lend their name to a style of pant popular with its female students)
- Second only to UC Berkeley (those hippies) in antiwar activity during the Vietnam years
- Associated with (although not located in) a city which is a sister city to where I was born
- Site of the first Kinko's (well, kind of - it's in IV, right at the border of campus where the bike path ends)
- One of a few universities in the United States with its own beach (which is why I chose it over Davis, har har).
- About a mile away from the first McDonalds to serve an Egg McMuffin, the McDo version of my favourite American breakfast food (Eggs Benedict)
- Going to have Nas play at Extravaganza this year (YOU BEEZIES. I LOVE NAS. Nobody stands between me and Mr. Jones.)
- Now home to Santa Catalina Dorms, the off-campus halls formerly known as Francisco Torres (and affectionately as "F--- Towers")
- Where I will graduate

You know, I don't feel that bad for being rejected by Berkeley a second time. I don't hate Santa Barbara as much as I used to, especially now that certain people are gone going to Berkeley would throw a wrench in my plans to graduate in 2009 with a double major ANYWAY, since they use semesters instead of quarters. Also, I can always find a place on the beach to be alone and just SING. I can't do that in Paris because the walls are so freaking thin, the music room at AUP is always reserved when I am free, and the parks are filled with tourists (or creepy people).

I love Paris (in the springtime!), and I don't want to go home yet (if ever, haha)... but I kind of do. If, for nothing else, you can eat wherever the hell you please without someone making a comment (French people look at you funny if you eat outside your house, a park, or a restaurant, even though everyone does anyway) and there's always someone to walk you home at 4 in the morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... honestly Joanne: You are bigger than Buzzerkeley. (And I'm not even talking about it girth-wise)

I know, I know, I know.... all that hype about UCB is very magnanimous, but when the cows come home, all it is izzzz an educational institution that discriminates based on how they define intelligence, how they define exceptional.

So what, big deal, you deserve a school who will accept you for who you are (i.e. Vassar)

------------ you are inspiring Joanne. If I ever do create a ready to wear collection (maybe couture)--- your lifestyle will most def. be an inspiration pour it.

oh and when you come back, hope you can pencil in an hour or two session with moi. i'd like to indulge in your parisian experiences 2nd hand (and not just 2nd hand virtual)

Anonymous said...

Oh and Joni Mitchell is the hummus to my naan...

haha

yetanother kewl commonality...

Joanne said...

Aww, thanks. I'm so glad you feel this positively towards me, but more than the prestige (which matters little to me now) I love the environment... and the UC financial aid. XDDDDDD Plus I could use all of that dorm rent money I'm spending in SB for more important things, like my Hermes fund, if I were to stay in the Bay. Plus I often felt out of place in SB among the superficial SoCal kids and the cool, chill surfers - the days of Edie Sedgwick's SB are long gone for sure. (I can do without the drugs she did, though.)

What aspect of my lifestyle inspires you? The intellectual? The offbeat? The aspirations to glamour? The delicate balance between form and function? I am genuinely curious as to how you (and others) view me, and what aspects of me you'd show to others through your work.

Also, I was always more of a Smith girl, as I loved Sylvia Plath as a teen (still do). But I have a buddy here at AUP who studies at Vassar (and is from SB!), and she loves it. I thought I'd be an NYU girl because of the environment, but my NYU friends here hate it for the most part because the regents focus more on money than education.

I will always pencil in an hour or two for you. And Joni Mitchell is the hummus to my tortilla chips. haha.